Top 10 Horror Movies of the 1960s

I figured the best way to start this horror blog is with a countdown of the best horror films by decade. I chose to start with the 1960s, as horror films before this time period, to me, just never held my interest; and while I appreciate the trend setting films that were created prior to the 1960s, I just cannot judge them when compared to the technology of recent films. Hate away, but I wanted to be honest.

Also, after reading many Top 100 Horror Movies of All Time lists, I felt horror movies were more accurately ranked by the decade, and not overall. To compare something like The Wolfman (1941) to The Conjuring (2013) is just not fair to either movie.

So without further ado, let's kick this off with the 1960s.

Top 10 Horror Movies of the 1960s

(Part 1 of a Series of Wrong Opinions)

1. Psycho (1960)
2. Night of the Living Dead (1968)
3. Rosemary's Baby (1968)
4. Witchfinder General (1968)
5. The Birds (1963)
6. Eyes Without a Face (1960)
7. The Innocents (1961)
8. The Haunting (1963)
9. Peeping Tom (1960)
10. Repulsion (1965)

It was a tough choice for the #1 spot. Zombies hold a very special place in my heart, but for an absolutely iconic movie choice, I went with Psycho. Rosemary's Baby was another top choice to consider, and essentially a case could be made for a three-way tie for the top spot. After #3, the list does drop off a bit in terms of quality movies that have stood the test of time, with The Birds and The Haunting probably being the most popular of the one's remaining.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mark's Horror Book Review: Frostbite by David C. Hayes & Sean Seal

Mark's Horror Movie Retro Review: Bram Stoker's Dracula